Apple Gorgonzola Eye Of Elk Round...Another Great Recipe By Nevada Foodies!
- 1.5 lb elk eye-of-round
- 1 cup green apple, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 thick cut bacon slices
- butcher’s twine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set a 12” cast iron skillet in the oven to also preheat.
- Place the eye-of-round lengthwise on a cutting board, holding your knife horizontal to the cutting board, make a cut along the middle side being sure not to cut all the way through. Open the meat like a book. Use the flat side of a meat mallet and flatten to ensure an overall thickness is roughly 1/2 inch thick.
- In a bowl combine the chopped green apple, panko breadcrumbs, gorgonzola cheese, parsley, thyme and olive oil. Mix well. Generously season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the stuffing evenly over one-half of the cut side. Take the other half of the meat and cover the stuffing – like closing a book. Wrap the meat with the bacon slices and tie to secure closed with butcher’s twine.
- Carefully remove the preheated cast iron skillet from the oven. Set the stuffed eye-of-round in the skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until your preferred doneness. Use a meat thermometer if needed – 130 to 135 degrees. Remove from oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with your favorite side dishes.
For more AMAZING recipes by Nevada Foodies...check them out at https://nevadafoodies.com/