Latest Blog Posts

Little Gal Joins the Prois Staff Team!!

Prois Field Staffer Mia Anstine’s daughter Little Gal is so awesome we created a new staff category just for her!  We are proud to announce or new Junior Staff category and the addition of Little Gal to our elite staff team.  Mia and LG are inseparable so we decided we couldn’t have one on staff without the other.   It also was a no brainer since LG was already always decked out in her favorite hunting gear, Prois!

LG spends most of her free time in the outdoors learning life skills and safety through nature and wildlife.   LG is a hunter, shooter, fisherman and all around outdoor enthusiast. She is the star character of the Women’s Outdoor News column, “Mia & the Little Gal” where she picked up the handle LG.

LG is passionate about spin fishing, bow-fishing, saltwater fishing and recently has taken up fly fishing. She has been fishing since the age of two and hunting since she was seven. She is a proud member of the junior YHEC (Youth Hunters Education Challenge) team. She competes in hunter education, wildlife identification, orienteering and shooting sports. LG competes with her shotgun, bow, muzzleloader and rifle.  In 2012 she won first place in her division for indoor archery. In 2013 at YHEC regionals she took third place with her muzzleloader and third place in .22.

LG is always thrilled to meet inspiring women in the outdoor and shooting industry. She strives to be a good role model and looks to encourage other girls in the outdoors..

Shipwrecked in Alaska (At least temporarily!)- Prois Was There Too!

I live in southeast Alaska, near Wrangell.  I went on a day hunt in mud bay, called up two does but no bucks.  After six hours of hunting we came back to discover our boat was high and dry. The tides in this area are huge…

The boat was tied but we neglected to anchor it properly, lesson learned..

We built a fire and waited for the tide to come back in, that’s a long wait without any food or marshmallows to toast, but we did get to hear some really nice whale songs! 7 hours later at midnight the boat was finally floating. We Hooked up a spot light and boated back to Wrangell.. slowly in the dark.  A great adventure but I think once was enough. The best part of this story,  I was wearing my new Prois and STAYED WARM!!! Yeah baby!!  I will try for my Buck again this weekend but this time I am taking a bigger anchor.. Giggle!!

Love your website and clothes!

Andrea

Photo Courtesy of Bear Jenkins

Bucks and Burrs! Great Season for Prois Staffer, Jennifer Morgan~~

By:  Jennifer Morgan

Hey there fellow huntresses!

I harvested this nice mulie buck in NE New Mexico on the morning of Oct 28. I passed on a few (which I have never done before) had a failed stalking attempt and was starting to kick myself for passing on some the first two days.

I am wearing my brand spanking new Gen X pants & pro edition jacket in the badass Mountain Mimicry pattern. The weather was cold in the mornings then warm in the afternoons, but no swampiness was experienced (lol!!!!) The jacket was great to layer with my ultra hoodie. First morning was quite brisk with a breeze and I was quite comfortable. Good wind stopping material. I really love this material as it’s shell is super quite.

The only problem is that every dry grass seed & burr stuck to my pant legs. I’ve tried duct tape, plucking ‘em out (this works but I’m now crosseyed)… Any words of the wise on the best way to remove? Other than that small issue I loved how my new gear performed!!!

***A word from Prois…burrs and seeds do tend to adhere to the brushed fabrics and this is a problem with most fabrics unless you go with a cordura (very loud and hot) or some sleek laminates (again, loud and hot). We too have experienced this and have had some luck with using a credit card/gift card to scrape the burrs. It is a bit faster but not always the perfect answer!***

Looking forward to more hunts!

Prois Staffer Jennifer Morgan

To view the entire line of Prois Hunting & Field Apparel for Women, Visit www.proishunting.com!

Prois Puts Bart the Trailer Out to Pasture…And, Yes…We Have Horses In There.

By: Kirstie Pike
CEO Prois Hunting & Field Apparel for Women

It’s true.

I just got a new trailer for Prois. I realize that many of you might think that after six years in business, we would have a trailer by now. We don’t. I’m cheap and insist on making do to save a buck…as any of my employees know.

For six long years, Prois has hit the open road to attack show season, also known as “the Gauntlet”, with my truck and…wait for it…horse trailer. That’s right. I said horse trailer. It made perfect sense as, well, we already owned it! The Prois chicks could be seen driving across the country with a 32 foot horse trailer in tow as if we were hitting the rodeo circuit.

But we weren’t.

It’s the end of an era. My horse trailer (aka: Bart), is about to hit the pasture.
Over the years, we have gotten used to the comments and stares as we pull Bart into the large convention centers to unload for yet another show. We have become quite adept at answering many of the logical inquiries that we hear as we are unloading at the largest hunting and shooting shows in the country. Here is a sampling:

Fellow Attendee: “You got horses in there?”
Prois: “Yes.”
(Nothing more is needed. While it may make perfect sense in the eyes of some to bring a trailer full of horses to a Las Vegas convention center, it just seemed somewhat illogical to us. Weird.)

Fellow Attendee: “What do you have in there?”
Prois: “Horses.”
(We use this answer in the event said attendee didn’t register the first comment. Additionally, I’m not sure what else Fellow Attendee would THINK there could be in my trailer as we are unloading for a hunting and/or shooting show. Stock cattle? Illegal aliens? The funniest thing is that after they receive this answer, they wait around to see us unload horses. No lie. I think they are disappointed to see that we really just have crates in there. Weird.)

Fellow Attendee: “What company are you guys from?”
Prois: “Under Armour”
(OK. We may or may not have used other company names before. Sue us. But let me walk you through our rationale… while we are happy to use a horse trailer, it is a bit embarrassing while we (usually myself and another female staff member) are unloading a horse trailer in the midst of ginormous semi’s and trailers with huge logos and the help of many men. Additionally, if Fellow Attendee really thinks Under Armour would show up in a horse trailer…then they deserve to be silently taunted. Just sayin’)

Union Dock Worker: “Hey! I remember you ladies from last year! You still got horses in there?”
Prois: “Yes. Still. And they are pissed. Can you lend a hand?”
(Not much commentary needed. It’s just fun.)

Additionally, travel with this 32 foot trailer across the country and into high traffic urban areas has also been tricky. I can neither confirm nor deny that I have had to use homemade cookies to bribe union workers to allow me to park in the easiest locations. I can neither confirm nor deny that I have been approached by a kind gentleman in a cowboy hat as I struggled to back Bart through a multitude of trailers and forklifts into a 12 foot wide space…his only comment being this, “My wife said I should come help you ladies.” They were lavished with homemade cookies after some brief conversation in which he asked what company we were from…all I could say was “Under Armour”) I can also neither confirm nor deny that I have hauled Bart the wrong way down a one way street in Pittsburgh. And Las Vegas. And Indianapolis. Twice.

Obtaining parking for Bart in these urban destinations is akin to shaving my head with a cheese grater. Typically there is no oversize parking available. And if there is the slightest chance of having oversize parking for Bart, the parking spot requires such bizarre and difficult maneuvering that NO amount of homemade cookies could get him in there. Or out. We have taken to commandeering random parking lots and looking doe-eyed when security approaches and asks, “You got horses in there?”

Bart has been to Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Reno, Phoenix, Ft. Worth, Salt Lake City, Columbus, Dallas and Las Vegas more times than he cares to admit. He is a celebrity among the Teamsters Union dock workers that operate the Sands Convention Center at the SHOT show. Bart has been backed through the Mandalay Bay Convention Center at the Safari Club International convention, narrowly missing priceless taxidermy.

While we might temporarily miss the unmistakable (and undeniable) odor of horse manure surrounding our trailer and booth, it is indeed the end of an era. Bart will be put out to pasture to do what he does best…haul horses.

So watch for us this show season with our fancy schmancy Not-A-Horse-Trailer! Homemade cookies to the first person who asks us if we have horses in there.

Layering Tips Per Prois Staffer Shannon Rasmussen!

By: Shannon Rasmussen
Prois Event Staff

Each and every time that I head out on my next hunting adventure, I am always so impressed with the high quality of my Prois Hunting Apparel. On my recent buck hunt I used a layering system that for me personally was perfect for the temperature and activity level of the hunt. My base layer was my Ultra Short Sleeve Shirt in Realtree AP. I always wear this shirt as my base layer for when the temperatures are warmer in the afternoon. Over that shirt I wear my Ultra Long Sleeve Shirt. I love this shirt!!! It is warm, yet lightweight enough that I don’t get overheated while hiking. I always wear my Reversible Sherpa Fleece Vest as my final layer as it is great for any hunting situation. During archery season I wear it with the Realtree AP side facing out, then during rifle season with the Blaze Orange side facing out. This vest is one of my favorite articles of hunting clothing. It is so warm and comfortable to wear while hiking or sitting and glassing for game. Speaking of glassing for game, I always carry my Pro Edition Jacket in my backpack for those chilly mornings and evenings when we are sitting for long periods of time. It is the perfect addition to wear under my Sherpa Vest during those frigid moments of the hunt. Finally, I need to mention my Realtree AP baseball cap and Sherpa Beanie. They are a winning combination! I carry both in my backpack and swap them out according to temperature and level of sunlight. I also like to wear them together for those bright, sunny, yet cold days. No one huntress is the same, so I recommend trying out different layering scenarios until you find the one that is perfect for you, but as long as you are layering with Prois Hunting and Field Apparel for Women you can’t go wrong!!

Girl’s Bear Hunt!!

By Megan DeHaan

I feel like few times in life you come across such an opportunity like the one I just had. I met a couple gals through a pro-staff we all used to be on a while back and after chatting it up for months and months we decided it would be fun to try and get together and go hunting. After months of planning and figuring out a way to get our schedules in line we finally set a date. We were going to take off into the Idaho wilderness on a “do it yourself, all girls, public land” bear hunt. I tell you what, I was ecstatic. I couldn’t sleep. All I was thinking about was getting to finally come face to face with these gals and having the opportunity to hunt together during our first meeting! When do you EVER get to do something like that? Well I sure as heck don’t have that many opportunities. Well I got to Idaho on a Tuesday evening and we picked up the other gal on Wednesday night and drove into camp. We were already having way too much fun. We talked about each others camo, shared hunting stories, talked about who should shoot first, laughed at ourselves, at each other. We finally got settled in a tried to sleep but I was wide awake the entire night. 5 am rolls around and we get up and head out on hike to the ridge line to start glassing. I tell you what, my new Generation-X system was phenomenal. It was incredibly windy and cold once we reached the top and it cut the wind and kept me warm. I never had to worry about the weather being to difficult because I new my camo was going to hold up. When the wind was howling I could pull up my hood and I loved how it zipped up around my face. I’m hooked.

We saw a medium sized black bear about 1270 yards across a pretty big canyon and after hiking around to the other side I realized that Northern Idaho was nothing like I expected. I’ve never seen more dense country in my life. You don’t realize it until your in it that its almost impossible to get around when what you thought was just “brush” turns out to be a thick dense jungle that constantly looks like a perfect house for a grizzly bear. Not that it was in the back of our mind the whole time, especially when your walking along a see huge piles of grizzly poop!! Turns out I was the only one with bear spray and ever since the designated leader for breaking trail. I’m still not sure if that was just a reflection of my value to the group! But I made sure the person behind me was ready and willing to shoot if necessary. Anyhow, we never did see that black bear again but on the way back down the mountain we saw a nice chocolate bear that never did give our first shooter a good vital shot. But I’d say it was still a successful day. Day two we got skunked. We did however shoot two grouse on day three while hiking around and one more the last day hunting. I knew these gals were going to leave a mark in my heart. We never did find another bear. However we saw plenty of wolf tracks, moose, elk ,deer, and bobcat tracks and we grew a friendship that will last a lifetime. My drive home was depressing and were already planning our next trip. And to top it off, they all want some Prois! Thanks again for making such a great line of camouflage gear, I will never leave the house without it!

Don’t worry, Megan bagged her 2013 Montana bear a week earlier and one heck of a buck this year too! -Prois

Megan's 2013 bear!

A Not-So-Conventional-Prois-Gear-Review!

By: Prois Staffer, Nancy Rodriguez

As I sat on my front porch gnawing at the cardboard box that was clutched in my hands, I watched my delivery guy dust off his knees and walk up my driveway with a limp. I really need to control my tackling tendencies if I want my delivery guy to come back. But seriously, how else is a girl supposed to act when a beautiful brown box shows up on her doorstep with a Prois label on it? As I frantically opened my beautiful box with tooth and nail, my husband strolled by a said, “I think you just crossed over to the crazy side, and maybe you should come up for air!”

Did he say Crazy?…Ha! It was over 90 degrees out and as I pulled each piece of clothing out of the box it ended up on me! I just had to model all my new gear right then and there. Covered head to toe in Prois, including my Sherpa jacket and beanie, I strolled around the house trying to show off my gear to whoever would look at me. OK, so my cat looked at me and I’m sure she thought I looked pretty cute!

I sauntered back to my bedroom and realized some of my leftover Prois gear was on the floor. With my Prois decal stuck to my forehead and cardboard still stuck in my teeth, I lay down in the middle of my new gear and I began to make snow angels. I believe they were called Prois angels. Some people may think that’s crazy behavior, but if they do, then they don’t know what Prois is made of! As I lay in utter bliss, I started to doze off and dream of hunting…

In the Field

I was packing out my antelope from my recent hunt in Wyoming. I was dressed in head to toe Prois and I reflected back on how great my gear performed. The backcountry shirt that I wore wicked away the moisture, as I climbed high along the ridges under the intense sun. The front neck zipper is great to open up for added cooling. The body length is also nice, as it doesn’t tend to ride up when you’re sitting and glassing. My Pro Edition pants are by far the most comfortable hunting pants I have ever owned (and that’s a lot of pants). The sizing is great, as it’s hard to find pants that don’t bind you in certain areas when you’re climbing up extremely steep terrain. The other fantastic part of these pants is the fabric. They are exceptionally soft, but most of all completely silent. The perfect pant to make sure you can quietly stalk your game. When the wind picked up, my Sherpa jacket went on. This jacket is the warmest piece of fleece I own. I love that the sleeves are a bit longer, so you can use the thumb holes for extra warmth on your hands. This jacket is perfect for added warmth for hunts in the spring or fall. To top it off, I wore my lucky Prois hat. All of my gear was in the Max 1 pattern. The camo blends in fantastic with the sage prairies. I cannot rant and rave enough about what exceptional gear Prois has! Finally there is female hunting gear that fits a woman’s body, and is tough, rugged, and oh so cute…just like the gals that wear it!

Prois Staffer Nancy Rodriguez

Side note by Prois CEO, Kirstie Pike…this is by far the BEST gear review ever! Thank you for the great words and your awesome sense of humor! Welcome to crazy!

Ladies Hunt in Packs Too! Another Amazing Prois Ladies Hunt!

By: Kirstie Pike
CEO Prois Hunting & Field Apparel for Women

Members of the Prois Posse recently congregated at Paloma Pachenga near Hondo, Texas for a great day of dove hunting. In true Prois fashion, we converged on the unsuspecting ranch with whoops of hilarity and cut-throat sarcasm. Ladies (and I may need to use that term loosely) in attendance were Crystal Ivy, Stephanie Wottrich, Kara Jo Lorenz, Jody Geistweidt, Christy Turner, Katherine Grand and myself. With a crew like this…it is quickly clear that fun was on the agenda!

We pounded through boxes of shells and most likely bagged a single limit between all of us! Did I mention laughter abounded? We later congregated for a delicious meal of Texas BBQ, story swapping and over the top laughter.

I am personally proud to associate with such an amazing group of ladies (yes…I do in fact use that term loosely) and am equally proud to call each of them a friend. I feel that this unique sisterhood of female hunters will only continue to grow and I cannot wait to watch the craziness unfold!

To my sisters…oooh. Crash.

Left to Right: Kara, Christy, Katherine, Jody, Stephanie, Kirstie, Crystal and Jackie

Prois Staff…Pictures Are Indeed Worth A Thousand Words…

By: Kirstie Pike, CEO
Prois Hunting & Field Apparel for Women

OK. It’s no surprise that I love running this business. Not just from the business standpoint either. I have truly relished the fact that I have met and befriended some of the most amazing ladies in the industry. I am often asked what it takes to become a Prois Staffer. While there is a lot of verbiage I could provide…I have decided to let all of YOU SEE what makes a Prois Staffer.

Indeed…a picture is worth a thousand words.

Crystal Ivy- Prois Field Staff

Britney Star- Prois Field Staff with Barbara Baird- Prois Pro-Staff

Donna Boddington- Prois Pro-Staff

Mia Anstine- Prois Field-Staff

Kristin Monroe- Prois Field Staff

Marissa Oaks- Event Staff

Kendra Petska- Prois Field-Staff

Tad Mecham- Prois Field Staff

Rebecca Francis- Prois Pro-Staff

Judge Julie Mogenis- Prois Pro-Staff

OK…I could go on forever…and plan to do so on future blog posts.

So with that…stay tuned as we continue to show you what makes a Prois Staffer!

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words…

2012 Prois Award Finalist Spotlight! Meet Jennifer Brockman!

MY HISTORY
I am a nurse by profession, a business owner through love, and an avid huntress by obsession. I have been a registered nurse for over ten years. I have been married eight years to my best friend, business partner, and trusted hunting buddy. My husband and I are owners of a local gunsmithing/gun shop. We opened five years ago with only a handful of guns, worked out of our garage, and with a bit of blood, sweat, and lots of tears we have grown and continue to grow, now with our own product line.

I am a dedicated supporter of Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, and the Big Bucks Club, and member of the NRA. I recently have been working with local law enforcement to become an NRA Instructor and to start a women’s gun league in our area. Shooting a gun is, after all, is what sparked my interest and lead me to hunting.

MY JOURNEY
I did not grow up in a hunting family. My husband’s family, on the other hand, lives and breathes hunting. To say I am passionate about hunting is the understatement of the century. It all started eight years ago when I picked up my first shot gun. I would blow through box after box of shells trap shooting, my shoulder would be bruised and sore, but I would keep shooting. My first hunting adventures were pheasant hunting. A year later I graduated to a muzzleloader and went on my first Iowa whitetail hunt. I took down my first doe and became a hunting addict for life. After a few years of hunting with a muzzleloader I decided to take on bow hunting, which quickly became my first love. After my first night in the stand, with my husband close by, I knew for certain I had found a new obsession.

I have encountered success and failure, and lessons learned over the years. My first bow hunt will be one of those stories I will tell my kids over and over, and they will roll their eyes at me I’m sure! Sitting high up in the big cottonwood, the creek below us, surrounded by timber, corn and bean fields. It was early in the season, the leaves were turning, and the weather was comfortable. I could hear pheasants across the creek in the tall grass. Everything was so still. That is one of the many things that I appreciate about hunting, the tranquillity, being surrounded by nature, and waiting silently for a deer to move stealthily into sight. Life is never more peaceful, than when you are up in your treestand.

I spotted three deer across the creek; a large eight point, a spike buck and a doe. They crossed the creek, came through the timber and stopped right under my treestand!! The eight point was a nice full bodied mature buck. I could have shot any of those deer ten times over in the length of time they stayed to nibble on the greens below my stand. Instead I just stood there, arrow nocked, bow in hand, but didn’t pull back. They were 10 yards away! I wasn’t shaking, or sweating whether or not I could make the shot. I, being an inexperienced bow hunter, was afraid pulling back would get me busted! Not to mention the fact I had never been so close to a deer. It was an awesome experience. I didn’t want to move! My husband was sitting in a stand below me. Not knowing the reason I wasn’t pulling back, he couldn’t believe I was passing on such a nice buck! All too soon the three of them moseyed away, back into the timber, without ever showing a sign that they even knew I was watching them from that tree.
I didn’t take down an animal that year, but nothing was going to discourage me from coming out again the next year, or any year after that.

MY PASSION
I have gotten tougher, become braver throughout the years. I have grown from only hunting and shooting with my husband to now scouting on my own, shooting on my own, and hunting on my own. I am now comfortable with myself and my skills as an accomplished huntress. It gives me an “I am outdoors woman, hear me roar!!” type of feeling.

I embody the average Great American Huntress. I don’t believe a woman’s status as a huntress is measured by the number of kills, the size of our game, or the locations we have had the opportunity to hunt. I do, however, greatly admire and respect the women who have worked hard to gain the opportunities to hunt game all over world. Unfortunately, sometimes even the most skilled extreme huntress may not be granted the opportunity to afford an over-seas or out-of-state hunt.

I believe the heart of an extreme huntress is built by our drive and desire. By the passion we exude. The image of a great huntress is created by our courageous nature and ability to take every obstacle head on. Huntresses are skillful creatures; built tough and with an unwavering determination.

I have a hunger for knowledge and an unrelenting desire to experience every opportunity to the fullest. I embrace my responsibility to pass on my skills and knowledge to others and take every opportunity to do so. As a successful business woman and skilled huntress I am always on display, and I use that influence to my advantage, to be a positive role model for other women and young aspiring hunters and huntresses. I proudly display my title as a huntress!

MY DESIRE
Hunting is not just about the kill, it’s the whole hunting experience that compels me to pull out my bow or gun year after year, months before season even starts, and count down the days and hours until opening day. I have two sons, 7 and 2 years old. I have witnessed the relationship between my husband and his father, built by many years spent together hunting, fishing, and being in the outdoors, teaching my husband to be the outstanding man that he is today. I want to do that for my boys; be present, teach them to be lovers of the outdoors and to respect wildlife, instill in them the values and ethics that we hold so high. I aspire to pass on my enthusiasm for the outdoors and hunting to my children. I hope to ignite a life-long passion that will produce years of enjoyment for my family, and their families as they grow. Life is an adventure; I choose to experience it outdoors doing what I love with the people I cared about the most.

The attached photo is from my favorite hunt. I am going to take a risk and go against the grain. It is my first kill with my bow and my very first solo hunt. A hugely proud moment for those reasons! That was one of the most memorable moments of my hunting career.