Byline: Kirstie Pike- CEO Prois Hunting & Field Apparel for Women
Often, we hear from prospective customers who are disappointed because we do not manufacture a very heavy weight, bulky jacket.
Believe it or not, we do this by design. We design the entire Prois brand around compressed fabrics and cuts. Here’s the down and dirty.
- Bulky sleeves interfere with bowstrings. It’s a fact. Reduction of this additional fabric reduces the risk of string slap incredibly.
- Bulky sleeves interfere when shouldering a gun. Ever worn a bulky jacket when hunting pheasants? A very unpleasant experience. Proper seating of your shotgun is difficult, if not impossible when an oversized, bulky jacket is used. As we know, this results in poor shots and occasional soft tissue injury if you accidently seat your shotgun into your bicep or shoulder.
- Ease of movement. Compressed fabrics with athletic cuts move with the body more fluidly. This allows the hunter increased stealth, silence and precision when drawing a bow or shouldering a gun.
- Noise reduction. Sleeker, compressed cuts reduce fabric on fabric noise as well as noise created from slogging through brush and trees.
- Layers are more efficient for thermoregulation. As we discuss continuously, warmth is best earned from layers, not a bulky jacket. Proper baselayers, insulators and shells create everything a hunter needs to remain warm. Layers can be removed when perspiration kicks in, layers can be added when the temperatures drop or inclement weather rolls through.
OK! So that’s compressed hunting gear in a nutshell. There really is a method to our madness. Since we are talking jackets…here is a breakdown of the Prois jackets…
Mid-Weight Windstopping Jackets: Perfect for warmer weather. Layering with good baselayers and vests can provide additional warmth.
1. Pro-Edition Jacket
2. Generation X Jacket
Core Insulator Jackets: Mother Nature got it right with goose down. It’s warm. It actually functions best when closer to the skin. We recommend wearing a good baselayer then utilizing the Archtach on top of that. If additional shell jackets are required for windstopping, waterproofing or additional insulation…you can utilize ANY of our other jackets on top to work with the conditions at hand.
1. Archtach Down Jacket
Shell Jackets: Shell jackets are for one of 2 things…rain or additional insulation. The Gallean is our lightweight rain jacket and can be used as a shell over our other jackets. Should the weather become cool and damp…we recommend moving on to the Xtreme jacket for water resistance plus additional insulation.
1. Galleann Rain Jacket
2. Xtreme Jacket
And there you have it. Layering, like life, is all about compromise. Utilize various options for your particular hunt and your particular body type…and you should be set. And never, never, ever look for just one heavy jacket for your go-to hunting jacket. Compression and layering are the key to success and comfort!